Tuesday, July 19

The Best that I have Got *

A short unreleased poem performed at the end of the show...

I care not much for clothes,
For clothes can be bought,
If I let you see my body,
I show you the best I have got,

I care not much what cover me,
May be pretty, may be not,
If I want people to discover me,
I show them the best I have got,

The best that I have is just plain honest,
(See the idea of these shows, is… you know)
The best that I have is just plain me,
The more that you add upon it,
The less you’ll see what I want you to see,

When I am naked in my heart,
When I am naked of all thought,
If I let you see my naked body,
I show you the best I have got,

Not only do I call myself the Modern Lover,
I’m bragging enough to call myself, the nature boy of rock and roll,
My name is Jonathan Richman… see you later.

Performed at Mississippi Nights, St Louis, 5th May 1982

*Unreleased Poem

No comments:

Post a Comment