from the Real Kids to the Classic ruins, the Lyres and of course Willie Loco Alexander.
I was in his shop every Saturday afternoon looking for new releases and imports. Patrick has also given a second chance to misfits or cult musicians like Alex Chilton, Elliott Murphy or Roky Erickson.
Roky Erickson and Patrick M.
More on Last Call and New Rose at http://www.lastcall.com
But he essentially released "live at Longbranch saloon" by the Modern Lovers and I asked him my set of questions about Jonathan.
- What is the first Jonathan Richman song you ever heard
- First Jonathan show ?
In 76, at Cantone's a small club in Boston. It was awesome and very friendly atmosphere. After the show, Jonathan drove me back to my hotel in his van.
- Are you pleased with Jonathan's evolution in style or do you prefer the original Modern Lovers ?
Obviously, I love the first albums and I must admit that I am not familiar with the most recent of his production but in any case everything he has done has always been good. Nothing to throw away, never.
- How did happen the release of Modern Lovers live at Long Branch saloon, can you tell us about it ?
It was Ernie Brooks who took care of everything. Ernie did the remastering with the help of Jerry Harrison and it went quite fast if I remember well.
- Is there any chance that one day we will get the missing songs from those concerts like "Cambridge clown" for instance ? Will there be a third Longbranch CD ?
It is not foreseen for the moment, I will talk with Ernie about it, he must have the tapes.
- As an acknowledged expert of the Boston scene (There are people there who still remember you and your cigars) what influence do you think Jonathan had on the local scene ?
I think Jonathan was on his own in a way, he was not infesting the clubs as the Real Kids, Willie Loco or the Lyres did.
His style being so unique and unforgetable, I do not see him as having been a big influence on other bands.
- What about the rumour which said, at that time that you were trying to sign Jonathan on the New Rose label ?
This never existed, and I was not aware of the rumour.
- An anecdote related to Jonathan ?
I remember that during a concert of the Count (Joe Viglone), in a small Boston venue, Jonathan was there practising trunk and abdominal gym exercises during the whole concert. It was rather surrealistic.
- What cover of someone of the New Rose/ Last call catalogue could you imagine Jonathan singing ?
Maybe "the singing grandfather" from Roky Erickson.