Saturday, October 2

Jon Richman part 6

Ernie Brooks is still skeptical. "I think it's really good not to be afraid to make a fool of yourself. But I don't think you have to act like you're eight or nine to do that. You can do it on the level of an older person."

Asa Brebner offers, "I think a lot of people are very uptight and intellectual about it. They approach it from the wrong direction. Any four year old kid could tell you what it means! I've played Modern Lovers records -- new ones -- for a lot of little kids and they don't question. They get into it right away."

Jonathan: "People have written me letters saying they feel they know me and I say 'Good.' That's the whole point: Someone letting you get to know them on the stage or on record."

Jonathan is adamant in his devotion to Beserkley Records, saying that if he couldn't be on that label he wouldn't record at all. I ask if sharp managers don't still approach him and say that with a little hustle he could get a deal with Columbia.

"I'd say, 'Thanks a lot!' With a little hustle they could get me in, to put it mildly, a situation I don't want to be in. I've been with a big label before. I know what it's like. It's like saying, 'With a little hustle we can get you a job lookin' up at the bottom of sewers!' Really?" Jonathan laughs. "Thanks! Do I have to act now? Just a minute, I'll pack my bags."

to be continued

by Bill Flanagan Trouser Press November 1979

go back to part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment